The Junction City track and field team participated in the Kansas State High School Activities Association 6A regional track meet at Lawrence Free State High School Friday. The top four finishers in each event qualified for the state tournament, and JC will have many athletes moving on to the state tournament, including:
• Juan Tovar was the 800-meter run champion, clocking in with a time of 2:00.28.
• Kienna Newman was the first-place champion in both the 100-meter and 300-meter hurdles. In the 100-meter run, she timed in at 14.41. And in the 300-meter run, she timed in at 46.94.
• In shot put, Sherrie Jones finished in second place at 42-05. Savannah Adams finished in fourth place at 40-02. Adams was also fourth in discus at 104.11.50
• Antonio Cooper placed second in the shot put at 51-01.
• Chaz Ruffin was second in the high jump at 6-02.
• Marcello Bussey was second in the 400-meter run timing in at 51.93.
• Tez Brime finished in second place in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 42.81.
• Jayda Harris was third in the triple jump with a 33-10.
• Both boys and girls 4x400-meter relay teams were state qualifiers. The boys team (consisting of Marcello Bussey, Allen Romero, Juan Tovar and Aaron Hamilton) claimed third place timing in at 3:25.35. The girls team consisting of Tiara Smith, Janiah Nicholson, Java Harris and Kienna Newman finished in fourth place timing in at 4:15.85. The boys 4x100-meter relay team consisting of Tez Brime, Marcello Bussey, Aaron Hamilton and D.J. Giddens finished in fourth place with a time of 43.35.